Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Gonnesyphiherpelis"

Today during 4th period one of my guys was telling us about how he was going to have his own television show when he got older.  The name of the show would be "For the Love of (insert kid's name)"  I told him that the quality of the girls on those types of shows isn't always the best and he should be careful so he wouldn't catch anything. 
Kid: "But it be some fine girls on them shows."
Me: "Fine girls can have AIDS too."
Kid 2: "Yeah, some of those girls might have gonnesyphiherpelis!"
Me: (thoroughly confused) "They have what?"
Kid 2: "Gonnesyphiherpelis!  They probably got all of them."
Me: *blank stare*

Yesterday I had to sit in on an IEP meeting for a kid that transferred to our school.  For the non-teachers that read my blog an IEP meeting is where a committee consisting of a SPED teacher, a general ed teacher, a counselor, an administrator, the parent, and sometimes the child.  Sometimes a psychiatrist or other mental health personnel sit in.  In these meetings we discuss the child's ruling, the problem that keeps them from learning, and we come up with a plan for them to succeed.  We discuss any accommodations they may need and educational strategies that will help the kid.  Anyway, I sat in on a meeting for a kid that has emotional issues and the whole time I'm sitting there thinking, "I'm gonna have to fight this kid to get him to act right!"  Basically this child has problems controlling his anger with authority.  In the meeting I told him that he wouldn't make it in my class with that kind of attitude.  And of course he was originally in my biggest class.  I think he would have made #34.  That wouldn't have been good for the type of emotional issues he has.  At the end of the meeting a discrepancy in his IEP was pointed out.  The line for race was blank.  When was asked what his race was he said that he was black and white but he preferred white.  LOL. I don't know why that was funny to me.  I guess he was trying to make his race work for him.

Speaking of race, some kids in my 6th period class are so ignorant to certain things.  They were having a conversation about swimming.  A white kid was saying that he couldn't swim and the black kid didn't believe him.  They went back and forth for about a minute or 2.  The black kid made the comment that he could swim and the white kid said, "No you can't. You're black."  I looked at that kid all kinds of crazy.  I corrected him and told him that I was offended because I'm black and I know how to swim.  He was confused as to why I was offended and couldn't believe that I could swim.  That just goes to show you what he's learning at home.

Guess whose 6th and 7th period classes are behaving? MINE! They have been so quiet. I know it's only Tuesday but I celebrate all victories, even the small ones.

Tomorrow is our last regular season volleyball game. We have to win tomorrow in order to go to the district tournament.  When we go it'll be the first time the volleyball team has gone in the history of the volleyball team.  I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment