Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birthday cake and Benadryl

Yesterday was my birthday so I took the day off.  I told my kids the only thing I wanted for my birthday was a good note from the sub.  All yesterday they wrote happy birthday messages on my Facebook wall.  They also made sure to write on there how good they were for the sub.  This time they actually were good for the sub!  I was so happy when I got back to school and saw the note on my desk.  Of course there were a few turds who acted up, but for the most part they behaved. 

Upon my arrival to Room 300 this morning, I encountered the sneezies.  I was sneezing nonstop so I took some Benadryl.  BAD IDEA.  I was dragging all day today.  My kids were talking to me and I didn't hear them.  They knew something was up because I didn't have my eyeshadow on and I was just letting them talk amongst themselves, not really trying to get them quiet.  Of course they asked what the deal was and I told them I was feeling sneezy and I had taken some Benadryl.  They all went "Ooooooohhhhhhhh."  They understood that I was in a fog.  They then commenced with the "whisper to the person on our right or left so Miss G can feel better."  They're sweet. 

I had so much cake left over from Sunday that I took it to share with my kids.  I'm pretty awesome like that.  My kids DEVOURED the cake.  You would have thought that they hadn't eaten in days the way they ravished that cake.  I mean they murked it.  Poor cake didn't stand a chance.  Let's have a moment of silence for the cake. 

As you recall 6th period got on my bad side Friday.  Today I put them in assigned seats, gave them their study guide, and dared them to talk.  They behaved for the most part.  There are 4 guys in that class that no matter where I put them they find a way to talk to each other.  So today I reverted to good ol' time out.  I put all 4 of them in different corners of the room.  They had to face the wall and everything.  They want to act like little kids so I treat them as such.  I plan on doing it everyday until they learn that they can't talk all the time.  3 of the 4 will learn pretty quickly.  The 4th one is such a turd that nothing will help him except me laying on my face praying long and hard that he'll get it together.  That and some oil.  It's crucial. 

Today's life lesson for 5th period was "If you're going to make fun of someone, make sure you're better than them at what you're making fun of them for."  One of  my new kids wanted to sing "Happy Birthday" to me so I let her.  I thought she had a nice voice and did a good job.  Some of the mean girls in class thought different.  They made fun of her loudly.  Naturally I got heated.  I asked them how were they going to make fun of somebody else's singing when they all sound like dying whales when they sing?  At least she tried and thought enough of me to sing to me.  I don't understand why the... Never mind.  I'm not going there.  I'll just think it. 

As most of you may know, education is not a priority in Mississippi.  They take our funds left and right with no thought of the consequences or the affects it may have on our kids.  Because of this we have to get creative in how we reach our kids and how we fund it.  There are several programs out there that allow you to help us.  One is www.adoptaclassroom.org.  My classroom is on there as well as some of my coworkers.  Sonic has a program called Limeades for Learning (www.limeadesforlearning.com).  There are about 15 teachers in the Jackson, Ridgeland, Bolton, Brandon area.  You can search by city, state, county, or name.  I only know of one person on that list and her name is Miss Bronson.  It's her first year teaching and her class needs chair shelves and other storage things for little kids.  You can go to the website and search keyword Bronson.  Once you find her vote for her class.  It costs you nothing.  You can vote multiple times!  OfficeMax is doing a thing on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/officemax?v=app_4949752878) where they'll donate $1 to Adopt-a-Classroom for every person that likes them.  I'll post these links in the upper right hand corner under "Check this out!" so you'll be able to get to them without having to scroll through this post.  Thanks for all you do to help us help your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment