Friday, August 13, 2010

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! This blog is dedicated to a few of my favorite people in the world... My students! They are the funniest, most interesting people in the world. I talk about them so much on Facebook and Twitter that I decided to share the joy of being a teacher with the world. I guess I'll start by telling you a little about me and my journey to teacher-dom.

When I went off to college my plans were to be a Physical Therapist and have my own clinic. Teaching was the ABSOLUTE last thing on my mind. Well... obviously I wasn't smart enough to do that and my advisor told me I was never going to get in physical therapy school. He then asked me if I ever considered teaching. I replied, "heck no! I don't like kids!" Seven years later, I'm starting my 5th year as a 9th grade English teacher and I'm loving every minute of it.

This week marked the first week of school for us. As expected there were tons of lost little ninth graders. Poor things were so confused and didn't know where to go. One kid broke down in tears because she couldn't find her homeroom class and another had to go home sick. They just weren't ready for high school. Once the day got started, things calmed down.

Here are a few highlights of the first week:

On Meet the Teacher Day I got a chance to meet some of my students and their parents. One kid walked in and introduced himself. He looked like a kid I taught in the past so I asked if he had an older sibling that went to the school. He quickly said, "So and so is my brother and I'm nothing like him." LOL. It sucks when the older sibling is so bad that it screws things up for the younger ones.

Two of my male students, in two different classes, thought it'd be funny to give me their phone numbers. Both of them got the sexual harrassment speech out the school handbook and I got some serious apologies. Well, the first kid apologized. The second kid claims he misunderstood what I meant when I said tell me about any medical/health issues that may affect your learning in my class. Yeah that sounds just like give me your phone number...

I asked my students what do they imagine themselves doing 10 years from now and how can I help them achieve their goals. One kid wrote I could be his wife and motivate him to succeed. He also got the aforementioned sexual harrassment speech and he wrote a new goal and way I could help him.


Today I learned that my students weren't too good at geography. The following conversation took place today in class:
Me: "Have any of you been out of the country?"
Three kids raise their hands.
Student 1: "Hawaii"
Me: *blank stare*
Student 2: "Nevada"
Me: "I said out of the country. Not state."
Students 1 & 2: "But those are out the country."
Me: "Never mind"

I hope that you enjoy reading my blog and that my kids provide you with a good laugh to brighten your day!

1 comment: