Thursday, August 26, 2010

Deep Doo-Doo

As you all know I was absent from school on Monday and Tuesday.  I left strict instructions for my kids to behave themselves and to act like they had some freakin' sense.  Did they do that? NOOOOOOOOOOOO.  They decided to act like they were raised by wild polar bears.  Naturally I was upset with them for acting like that.  They already knew that I was going to blow a gasket when I got back so they sucked up yesterday and today.  It didn't save them.  By the end of each class, except my repeater class, all the kids had apologized and promised they'd do better.  I believe most of them.  The rest... They're going to have to show me.  My 3rd period was the funniest.  They came in trying to explain what happened.  They were honest about everything that happened.  I mean they told EVERYTHING.  That's why I like that group of kids.  They didn't want me mad or disappointed in them so they did what they knew to fix it.  It worked:)  I think I'm getting soft... 

I had to break down and write some of my 9th grade pookies some detentions yesterday and today.  It hurt my heart.  Ok, not really.  They were so shocked that I gave them the detention.  One kid made the comment that he always gets away with what he wants.  I told him that didn't work in Room 300.  He begged me to take the detentions away.  It didn't work.  Hopefully he has learned his lesson and will be quiet tomorrow.

One of my repeaters was very talkative today.  Usually he sits in the back of the room and sleeps.  Today he wanted to sit by my desk so he could talk to me.  I'll never deny a child a chance to talk to me, especially if it's a child who never talks.  So I let him sit at the table closest to my desk once I got everybody else started on their assignments.  He told me a lot about him without saying much.  It was almost like he wanted to tell me something but he didn't want to just spill it.  He'd pause periodically to make sure I was keeping up with what he was trying to tell me.  I now understand why he is the way he is.  No one has ever challenged him to do better nor has anyone ever told him he could do better.  After our conversation, he went back to his seat but he did something different.  He did his work instead of sleeping.  That made me happy. 

Tomorrow is pep rally day.  Everybody please pray for us! I mean get on your face and pray.  LOL. It's not that bad but I do need make sure I get plenty of rest and eat a good breakfast so I'll have some energy.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment