Tuesday, August 24, 2010

La-a

Today, during our Language Arts work session, the topic of names came up.  As most you know there are some pretty interesting names out there.  The name above is pronounced La-dash-a.  The dash is not silent.  I'm sure a lot of you have seen that email that went around about that.  That's just too much.  Parents-to-be, please be careful what you name your children because they are labeled according to their name.  I know y'all want to be unique and give them a name that no one else has but naming them something with 6 syllables with a Q, U, Z, a -La, or -iqua and 2 or 3 vowels is doing the most.  I can imagine how those poor preschool and kindergarten teachers feel trying to help the kids learn how to write their names.  I'm glad we have access to our rosters early so I can practice the pronunciations of my kids' names.  They're real sensitive when you mispronounce their names.  I've given so many of my kids nicknames this year because I can't say their names.  That's just too much. 

I really enjoyed going to this Language Arts thing because I got to do some planning with the 8th grade teachers at the middle school and the 2 other 9th grade English teachers in the district.  I also got to swap stories, get important information on the kids I have now, and basically fellowship with people who are on the same page as I am.  That was cool. 

Tomorrow I'm going back to my classroom.  For the sake of my kids I hope there's a nice, happy note on my desk instead of a bad one.  I snuck back to my room yesterday to see what they were doing and they were so freakin' loud! I went in the room and asked them what their problems were.  The sub apparently thought this was acceptable behavior because she wasn't saying a word.  I was a tad bit upset.  So tomorrow 7th period will definitely be punished.  They know better than to act like that. 

As always click on some ads and donate/adopt my classroom!  Oh yeah! Come support the volleyball team tomorrow as we play our 1st district game at home.  Games start at 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment