Friday, August 27, 2010

Pep Rally Day

Today was pep rally day and it actually went well.  The kids behaved perfectly.  We changed the format this year and I think the kids liked it.  I did.  The football team must have liked it too because they won their game tonight.  Woop!  Next pep rally a few of the other teachers as well as myself are supposed to do a cheer.  We'll see how that goes...  I have a feeling that lots of Bengay and Advil will be needed afterwards. LOL

My 5th period class had to learn a life lesson today.  It was brought to my attention that they were making fun of the special ed kids that ate lunch at the tables close to my class.  Apparently it had gotten so bad that the SPED kids didn't want to come eat lunch in the cafeteria.  I was furious when I found out about this.  When we got back to class I gave them a little talk. I explained to them that the majority of them had things wrong with them that would classify them for special ed,  things like ADD, ADHD, any emotional problems, deafness in one or both ears, glasses, trouble reading and comprehending, but their parents felt they could succeed without the extra services.  I went through the list and had them raise their hand if they had any of the things listed above.  I also explained to them that gifted kids are considered SPED.  Anything that's above or below the norm is SPED.  Once I explained that to them they started to drop their heads.  I asked them how would they feel if someone made fun of them for having acne, being fat, having short hair, stuttering, being too dark, being too white.  At the end of the talk they were whispering amongst themselves and I overheard a few kids saying they felt bad.  I asked one kid what he felt bad about and he said he felt bad for laughing at the jokes others were saying and for laughing at the SPED kids.  Monday, my whole class will be apologizing to them during lunch.  I told them if they didn't mean it then don't do it.  I wouldn't be mad.  I'd be more upset if they did it only because I said something about it.  Hopefully, they've learned that you just can't go around making fun of people for things they can't help.  Now if they have boogers or something like that then that's different.  People can help boogers. 

I got my first evaluation today.  I think it went fairly well.  My kids were good and they participated in the lesson.  I don't know what the principal said yet but I'm sure it's good.  I need my job so I'm gonna work hard!  Shoot.  I'm not an "ungrateful babysitter" who just "draws a paycheck."  I actually enjoy what I do.  I love being a teacher.  I'd have to to keep doing it because it definitely ain't the pay.  I just wish all the people who think negatively about teachers could just come sit in my class for part of the day.  That'd show them half of what I go through.  That won't include the contact with parents, the lesson plans, the grading of papers, the volleyball practices, the bus training, the football/basketball duties, the morning duties, professional developments, and various other trainings.  All of that takes place AFTER school is out.  So when all of you non teachers get off at 5 or 6 and forget about work, I'll be thinking of new and better ways to educate your child.  Or I'll be at the football/basketball game cheering on your child while you sit at home.  Or I'll be sitting at a professional development or a special training getting ideas on how to help your child.  Or I'll be on the phone with you trying to get your support and help so I can effectively teach your child.  From August to May we have joint custody of your child.  Do your part to help and our children can be successful and reach their full potential.  *gets off soapbox*

1 comment:

  1. ....and that my friend...
    is the bottom line!
    KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
    YOU WILL BE REWARDED...
    AND THE LIVES YOU TOUCH WILL BE REWARDED!
    THANKS FOR CARING ABOUT THIS GENERATION,

    YOUR MOM

    ReplyDelete