Friday, August 20, 2010

Myrtle the Ghost

I feel like I need to clarify some things about me and my teaching style and how things run in my classroom.  I think some people are forming negative opinions about what I do in my classroom.  I don't like a totally quiet classroom.  While I'm teaching, of course I want the kids quiet and attentive.  However, I understand that kids have short attention spans so I break my class up into segments.  We take commercial breaks whenever I see the kids getting restless.  Also they are allowed to whisper while they do worksheets or other seat work as long as they don't get loud and they are working more than they are talking.  Of course they get loud and distracted but I correct the behavior and we move on.  I do teach.  That's for all you non teachers that know everything about education.

Anywoo, Myrtle the Ghost.  Today during 4th period while we were practicing our context clues and expanding our vocabulary, they started to get a little loud.  Before I could correct their behavior one of the girls handled it for me.
Kid: "Y'all better be quiet! Y'all remember what happened in Mrs. So and So's class last year!"
Kid 2: "Oh yeah! I remember that!
Me (thoroughly confused): "What are y'all talking about?"
Kid 1: "Man there was a ghost at the middle school and she only showed up when we got too loud. I 'member one time we got too loud and the printer started shooting out paper at us!"
Me: "Really guys?"
Kid 1: "Yeah Ms. G! I was so scared! Her name is Myrtle. She died under the school."
Me: "How she die under the school?"
Kid 1: "Ion know! She just did! That's where she come from. They put the school on top of her!"
Kid 2: "That's not what happened.  She died and they built the school on top of her grave."
Me: "Finish your worksheet."

This year I only have 1 repeater class as opposed to the 2 I had last year.  I teach those classes a little different than my for real for real 9th graders.  Today we had a little talk about goals and life as we often do. Everybody wants to be a rapper or a dope boy.  That's as far as most of their visions go.  I wanted them to understand that there is more to life than being a rapper and that the world doesn't necessarily have a positive view of rappers and dopeboys.  In order to do that I needed a little help so I turned to Youtube.  I showed them the "Shortbus Shawty" video.  As they watched it they realized that people don't look at the people they're aiming to be like in a positive light.  We didn't get to finish our discussion because it was time to go but hopefully they'll rethink their life goals.

I'm worn slap out. My body hasn't adjusted to me being at school all day then having a 2 hour volleyball practice.  Come on teacher body! Get here quickly!

Remember to click on the ads and check out www.adoptaclassroom.org.  See y'all Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment