Monday, August 30, 2010

"There go Miss Pretty Griffin"

Over the weekend I ran into two of my kids' dad.  I usually run from the parents when I see them in public because I want a few minutes to not think about school.  Anyway, this parent snuck up on me.  He called my name and I stopped to be cordial.  He asked how his son was doing, blah, blah, blah.  You know, the usual parent questions.  This is how the end of the conversation went.

Parent: "When you pulled in I was like there go Miss Pretty Griffin."
Me: *uncomfortable laugh* *blank stare*
Parent:  "I mean, that's what the kids say"
Me:  "Yeah, I gotta go."
Parent:  "If you have any problems out of my son let me know."
Me (walking away) "Yea, I got it."

I mean seriously? Who hits on their kids' teacher?  That's just creepy...

Last week I received an email from a parent.  Her son is one of my SPED kids and she just wanted to touch base with me.  She was concerned because he has a SPED ruling but doesn't have a SPED or tutorial class.  She wanted to try him out in a regular classroom because she felt like he could handle it and succeed with just a little help.  She also wanted to see what he could do on his own.  I love parents like that.  They let their kids try first then if they can't they get them some help.  I don't like the kids who use their SPED ruling as a crutch.  That's so not fair for that child.  Anyway, I had already talked to the kid, his basketball coach, and one of the SPED teachers about him and what extra help we could give him and we came up with a plan.  Mom was happy with the plan and so was the kid.  Well, apparently during this process they changed the kid's schedule and moved him out of my class.  I didn't know it because I was using an old roster.  Anyhoo, this upset him greatly as you can imagine.  He decided to take matters into his own hands.  He refused to go to the other English teacher's class.  His momma had to call the school and ask that he be put back in my class.  When she told me I smiled a little.  It made me feel good knowing that he wanted to stay with me for whatever reason.  All the other kids left with no argument.  LOL.  Seriously, this kid has latched on to me and his basketball coach.  It's cool with me.  Who knows what seed I'm supposed to sow into his life.

I got evaluated twice today.  I'm like what the heck?!  That's three evaluations in two school days.  It's all good.  I'm doing my job. My kids didn't feel like acting today during my evaluations.  They were their normal selves.  I mind but I don't.  It makes for an interesting evaluation. 

THREE DAY WEEKEND!!!  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment