Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Miss G, I'm a thug"

Today, while working on a vocabulary puzzle, one of my kids decided he needed to tell me that he was a thug. 
Kid: "Miss G, I'm a thug."
Me: "Congratulations! Would you like a cookie?"
Kid: "Thugs don't eat cookies!"
Me: *eye roll*

Later during class, right before the pop quiz, the same kid told me that thugs don't take tests. I guess that means he's going to be a repeating thug.  The kid weighs at most 110 pounds. I don't know how much thuggin' he's doing being that small. 

One thing that I love about 9th graders is that they're still trying to impress the teacher.  Well most of them are.  They ask questions to make it appear that they're listening, they engage in conversations and lessons, they volunteer to answer questions and pass out papers.  Sometimes it doesn't always work, especially when the kid really isn't listening to what's being said.

Teacher: "When I was growing up my dad travelled with some famous music artists.  I remember a particular time when my dad didn't go.  My mom was pregnant with my little sister and was having complications.  My dad was called up to go on tour that evening.  He didn't go because he wanted to be with my mom in case something happened.  Well, the next day the plane crashed and everybody died.  We always say that my sister saved my dad's life because had he gone he probably would have been killed."
Kid:  "So, are you the oldest?"
Rest of class: "Duh!"

Poor kid was just trying to impress the teacher by listening to his story. 

I love my 3rd period class.  It's one of my smaller classes and they work hard.  They're just enough silly for it to not be boring but enough good work ethic to cut the silly off when it's work time.  I love it!  They worked so hard today that we didn't notice that it was time for the bell and we had to rush and pack up.  They are a teacher's dream:)

My 7th period class is the exact opposite.  Well not the exact but pretty close.  It's my biggest class with whopping 32 students.  That's a decrease from 35.  Everybody in that class likes to talk.  They ALWAYS have something to say.  ALWAYS!  If I'm telling them to be quiet, they want to explain why they're talking. If I ask who watches a certain show, they want to tell about their favorite episode.  They're my long-winded bunch.  They're also going to be my working all the time don't ever get a free moment bunch.  They have until Friday to get the "I'm new to high school" jitters out or I'm wrecking shop.  There will be lots of detentions and phone calls home. 

Question for my teachers or anybody who has dealt with this:  I have a kid with Asperger's Syndrome.  I have very little knowledge on this.  I understand what it is I think but I need a little advice on how to make this child feel comfortable in my room.  If you have any advice or information let me know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment