Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"I'm a huntee. Boys hunt me."

Today was the 1st round of literature circle presentations and I was a little disappointed.  They didn't perform like I thought they would.  When it was time for the Real-Life Connectors to get up, my 3rd period was silly, as usual.  The Real-Life Connector's job was to connect the story or part of the story to something that has happened in real life. 
Kid: "The part where he says 'The world is made up of 2 classes--hunters and huntees,' I connect it to real life cuz I'm a huntee.  Boys hunt me."
Me: *blank stare*

Seventh period reverted back to their beginning of the year behavior.  And their presentations sucked.  *sigh* I was quite disappointed with their performance.  I told them too.  I did the compliment, correct, compliment thing.  It doesn't hurt as bad.  Thursday we should have better behaviors. 

I had 2 conferences this morning.  Both parents seemed to be really concerned and wanted to help the teacher.  A lot of parents come in to conferences thinking/saying that the teacher is picking on their kid.  Uh ma'am?  I don't have that kind of time to single out your kid and pick on him or her.  Your child is just a turd.  I digress, the parents that I met with this morning were really supportive and had a lot of questions.  One even took notes!  Both took what we said and said they were going to consider some tests and things like that.  It's nice to know that the parents are on our side. 

During the 2 conferences it was easy to pick out the new teachers.  They're the ones who want to save the world.  They think they can save every child and make them want to learn.  By January they'll have a whole new outlook.  You can't save them all.  If you can save 1 then you've done well, more than 1 you're a star.  Now there's nothing wrong with wanting to save the world because the children are the future and all the other cliches.  You just can't wear your heart on your sleeve.  These kids will break your heart.  Some will melt it.  I love all of my kids but I know I can't save them all.  I'm not making fun of new teachers, heck I thought the same thing my first year.  It's actually funny when I think back on it.  I was nice and I sucked.  LOL.  I've made a complete 360.  It's obviously noticeable too.

It's basketball season, which means it's noise talking season!  I love talking noise with my kids.  I don't really watch either sport enough to talk noise but I know the important stuff.  I even have shirts made.  The Celtics won tonight so I have to talk smack to the Heat fans.  I just don't like the Lakers so it doesn't matter who they play, I'm still going to talk bad about them. Ha!  My kids love it!

Don't forget about the book drive!  We're collecting books, cds, and DVDs to help raise money for the football and basketball facilities.  If you have any books, cds, and DVDs you want to get rid of please contact me.  You can leave a comment here, call me, text me, Facebook me, tweet me, email me, whatever.  I'll come pick up the stuff or I can meet you somewhere.  Since I coach volleyball and we play in the gym I want to help as much as possible.  It costs you nothing but maybe a little gas.  You'll be getting rid of some clutter!  Thanks!

Also the volleyball team is selling tickets to the Belk charity sale for $5.  Let me know if you want to buy 1 or 10.  You can ask me or a volleyball girl.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment