Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"You talk white."

Today while going over formal and informal language, one of my new kids told me that I talked white.  I asked him to explain what he meant by that.  He said it's because I talk proper. 
Me: "So what you're telling me is that black people don't talk properly?"
Kid: "No that's not what I'm saying. I'm just saying you talk white."
Me: "I don't understand."
Kid: "See I'm part white myself and I talk proper sometimes.  Other times I use my slang."
Me:  "So, let me get this straight. White people talk proper and black people use slang."
Kid:  "No, you just don't get it."
Me (to the class): "Can y'all explain to me what it is to talk 'white'?"
Other kids:  "We don't get it either. It sounds like he's saying that black kids don't know how to talk correctly."
Kid:  "Just forget it."
Me:  "No I want you to explain.  If you're bold enough to make a statement like that then you should be prepared to defend yourself."
Kid:  " I can't.  You don't understand."
Me: "You're right. I don't.  I don't understand the term 'talking white.'  My parents raised me to have some sense and to talk properly.  They raised me to be educated.  So no I don't talk 'white.'  I talk right."

He just stopped talking after that, which was fine with me. 

During the same class period while we were going over dramatic, situational, and verbal irony, the same kid had something else to say.
Kid: "Miss G, how come in the movie the white girl always falls while she's running?"
Me:  *blank stare* "Please shut up."

Every time he said something that was related to race, he'd justify it by saying, "See I'm half white myself." Or "I'm half black so I'm not being racist."  This kid was really just worrying me today with his comments.  I don't think he took his ADD meds today.  He had something to say about EVERYTHING today.  When he first transferred in, all the kids thought he was cool and the girls thought he was cute.  Not anymore.  Every time he says something they all sigh, huff, or say "gah shut up."  He made enemies quickly.

My Asperger's kid was in a good mood today.  He was giggling and laughing today.  I don't think I was that funny today.  Well, I take that back.  My kids were laughing pretty hard today.  I was on a roll.  LOL

My 7th period class started off on their best behavior today.  I told them that I was proud of them and I really appreciated them behaving.  They stayed that way for about 15 minutes then they were almost back to their old selves.  They're weren't as bad as usual but bad nonetheless.  They're getting better though.  Focus on the positive...

Friday one of my kids asked me to do his make up.  Yes I said his.  What is wrong with these kids???

Don't forget about the book drive!  We're collecting books, cds, and DVDs to help raise money for the football and basketball facilities.  If you have any books, cds, and DVDs you want to get rid of please contact me.  You can leave a comment here, call me, text me, Facebook me, tweet me, email me, whatever.  I'll come pick up the stuff or I can meet you somewhere.  Since I coach volleyball and we play in the gym I want to help as much as possible.  It costs you nothing but maybe a little gas.  You'll be getting rid of some clutter!  Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Ok the biracial child sounds alot like this kid I worked with. His issue with race could have alot to do with what parent he lives with at home if the parents aren't together. The child I worked with lived with her White mother and she was constantly saying stuff like that. Or she would say, I am white look at me, my skin is just as white as hers. And her mother would tell her yes you are baby just don't stand out in the sun to long are you will get darker and people will think you are mix. This kid gets offended if you even mention that she is half black. SMH....You have to let her mention that too ya. But I was like baby look at you I can tell by the "sheep wool" on your head that you are not purely white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just saw this... He's in a foster home but judging from my meetings with mom she doesn't emphasize race. He said he wanted to be classified as white.

    ReplyDelete