Thursday, October 7, 2010

"You're my girlfriend!"

Yesterday was Disney day at school so I dressed up as Jessie from the movie "Toy Story 3."  At the end of the day one of the female students asked who I was supposed to be.
Kid: "Who are you today?"
Me: "I'm Jessie from Toy Story."
Kid: "You're my girlfriend!"
Me:  "Uuuhhh... No."
Kid:  "Uh huh! I was Buzz Lightyear today."
Me:  "Yeah that came out wrong on so many levels."
Kid: "Well, that's not what I meant Miss G. OMG!"
Me: *laughing*

Today, I got a chance to cause some of my boys to poke their chests out a little farther.  I have to share my room with another class during my planning period.  The teacher was trying to get the boys to settle down so he could get the roll called and stuff.  During all of this he looks over at me and says, "Miss G, you're my witness.  You hear them talking without permission."  I told him that I did hear them and that none of the kids that I taught were the ones misbehaving because my kids know how to act and respect adults.  I then went through the room and pointed out all of my students and sure enough, they were the ones being quiet.  The other boys in the room just kind of sat there stunned like, "Oh no she didn't!"  My boys had the biggest grins on their faces because they know I expect them to behave in all of their classes.  They know I'll snatch them up right there if they're misbehaving and I see them.  At the beginning of the year I told them that they were my adopted kids from August to May and I expect them to behave a certain way.  For the most part they behave. 

Speaking of behave 7th period behaved a little better today.  They got their work done with little correction.  They got a little loud but it wasn't too bad.  They worked hard today.  I was proud.  I almost hated putting those Fs on their 9 weeks exams.  Only 7 of 34 passed.  I was disappointed at 1st but it didn't last long.  I know I did my part as a teacher to help them.  They didn't want to learn or pass.  The 7 that did pass are the ones that are quiet, respectful, and hard working.  Maybe the rest of them will see that and adjust their behavior.  They seem to be getting it.  We'll see as the year progresses.

Today I noticed that my Aspberger's kid wears a red shirt to school everyday.  I asked him if his favorite color was red and he said no.  Are Aspberger's kids OCD? 

My 5th period class will be known all year as the doo-doo breath class.  Today they were talking when I didn't want them to be.  They were being more silly than rude.  They were full of jokes and giggles and just couldn't focus on their work.  So I told them that the next person that talked had doo-doo breath.  They giggled and 3 seconds later they all started talking again.  At that point I began calling them doo-doo breath and they cracked up.  I lost that battle.  LOL.  They were extra silly today so we just laughed and told jokes while they worked on their assignment.  Sometimes that's what you have to do to keep the peace.  I'm all about keep the peace and my sanity.

The French teacher made beignets today. OMG they were so good.  I ate 4 and completely blew my diet for the day.  I had powdered sugar everywhere.  I love beignet days:)  I think I'm going to buy her a can of biscuits so she can just make me a whole can when she makes them again. 

Remember the book drive!  We're collecting books, cds, and DVDs to help raise money for the football and basketball facilities.  If you have any books, cds, and DVDs you want to get rid of please contact me.  You can leave a comment here, call me, text me, Facebook me, tweet me, email me, whatever.  I'll come pick up the stuff or I can meet you somewhere.  Since I coach volleyball and we play in the gym I want to help as much as possible.  It costs you nothing but maybe a little gas.  You'll be getting rid of some clutter!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment