Monday, October 18, 2010

I have no title

Saturday I talked to my Asperger's mom and I was telling her that her son received a detention for being late.  I was telling her that I'd take care of it so don't worry about it.  She said he needed to go because she told him and his sister to get their acts together the night before and they didn't.  As a result they were tardy for school.  He had to serve the detention.  I actually feel bad:(.  Then she went on to ask the usual parent questions: how is Johnny doing, is he behaving, blah, blah, blah.  I told her that he's doing fine and he participated in class discussion on Friday.  She seemed surprised.  She said that she was glad I told her because he doesn't tell her anything when she asks.  He gives her one word answers.  Apparently, I'm the only person he'll really talk to.  It's probably because I make him talk to me.  LOL.  Today, he didn't use his words.  He made signs.  He got a pass today because he got another detention this morning.  Tomorrow it's back to using our words. 

Today, we continued to read the short story "The Most Dangerous Game."  We have a bit of class discussion before we read which is always interesting.  It also shows me how my kids think and how intelligent they can be.  There was a quote in the story that I chose to discuss.  "The world is made up of two classes-the hunters and the huntees."  I asked my kids what that meant to them and whether or not they agreed.  The majority of them put it in terms of male and female with the hunters being men and huntees being the women.  Men go out into the world hunting jobs, financial security, and women.  They bring home what they hunt to the women.  The women in turn nurture what the men bring home.  Another thing they discussed was the hunters being the strong people in the world and the hunters are the weak.  One kid said it has to do with smart and not smart.  They did really well with the discussion and they actually wanted to read the story.  Grammar wasn't their thing.  Reading stories about a man who got bored hunting animals and decided to hunt humans obviously is.  Who knew?

Don't forget about the book drive!  We're collecting books, cds, and DVDs to help raise money for the football and basketball facilities.  If you have any books, cds, and DVDs you want to get rid of please contact me.  You can leave a comment here, call me, text me, Facebook me, tweet me, email me, whatever.  I'll come pick up the stuff or I can meet you somewhere.  Since I coach volleyball and we play in the gym I want to help as much as possible.  It costs you nothing but maybe a little gas.  You'll be getting rid of some clutter!  Thanks!

Also the volleyball team is selling tickets to the Belk charity sale for $5.  Let me know if you want to buy 1 or 10.  You can ask me or a volleyball girl.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment