Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Break!

Christmas break is almost over.  That makes me sad.  During the break I've taken a nap everyday, shopped, gotten a pedicure and massage, and done absolutely nothing.  It's been awesome.  I will definitely be refreshed and recharged for the remaining 5 months of school.  The school year tends to fly by after Christmas.  I love it!  The kids also get a little antsy because they know school is almost out.  It's gets really bad at the end of March/beginning of April when the sap rises.  I pray that I have the patience to deal with them.  As the break draws to an end I want to leave a little advice for teachers and parents.

To the teachers:
  • You have what you say.  If you say you have bad kids, then you have bad kids.  If you say you have good kids, then you have good kids.  It works. Trust me.
  • It's the time of year where kids and teachers get a little stressed out due to *cue evil music* STATE TESTS.  Teachers, please remember that the kids have just as much pressure on them to pass as you do to make sure they pass.  Check your attitude and act accordingly.
  • Teachers who have to help with state test, ie watching other people's classes, giving up your room for tests, administering/proctoring, please do not whine and complain about it.  The rest of us don't care.  We are all affected by SATPs.  If anyone should be griping, it should be the kids.  They actually have to take the tests. 
  • It's also the time of year where we're pretty solid in knowing who's going to pass or fail.  Don't give up on the ones that are right on the edge.  They may pull it off with a little encouragement from you. 
  • Look at how you teach and manage your classroom.  Would your favorite teacher be proud?  If not, fix it.  Shelia would be proud most days:)
  • Treat each student like the person they're capable of becoming not like the turd you see sitting in front of you.  If you treat a student like a jailbird, then guess what? You may be their next victim.  I've seen it happen.  Each child has gifts and talents on the inside of them.  They need someone to help them pull it out.  Why not be that somebody?
  • Treat every child as they are your own.  This is hard for me because I don't have kids.  I try to treat them how I would want mine treated.  Sometimes I suck at this but I give it my best effort. 
  • And finally, keep fighting the good fight!
To the parents:
  • Please do not call or email your child's teacher raising all kinds of cane because you just noticed your child is failing.  They've been failing since August.  Where have you been?
  • If your child is failing and you have been in contact with the teacher regularly, now is the time to ask what your child needs to do to pass.  A lot of times teachers will work with kids if they are willing to work.  If the parent and the child are concerned with the grades then teachers are more willing to help a child pass.  If you don't contact the teacher we'll assume that you're a parent who doesn't care about their child's progress. *side note I had a student who had failed my class twice, meaning she was in my class 3 times, and I didn't meet her mother until the 3rd year.  Lack of parental involvement is detrimental in a kid's academic success.*
  • On Parent-Teacher Conference Day, show up!  And ask questions.  Normally only the parents we don't need to talk to show up.  We need to talk to the parents whose kids who have Ds and Fs.
  • When you do come to PTCD please don't say, "This is the 1st I've heard/seen of him misbehaving and failing.  Why haven't you contacted me?"  Uuhh... The phone number we have is disconnected or wrong. 
  • That brings me to my next point, if you have a child that you know isn't the sweetest child and you haven't heard from his teachers, check to make sure the school has your updated contact information. 
  • Remember, teachers are not the enemy.  We are there to help.  You may not like our methods, rules, or delivery but we do what we feel is best for our kids. 
  • On PTCD or any conference day really, please do not tell us that your child is not capable of certain behaviors and that he doesn't behave that way at home.  We don't have time to sit around and make up stories about your child.  Chances are if we're calling you about it, then it's happening.  We don't like to call just for the fun of it. 
  • And finally, just like I told the teachers, keep fighting the good fight!  It's almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment