Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Bodyguard

I'm a firm believer in teaching young men to be gentlemen and teaching young women to be ladies.  Apparently, some of my parents feel the same way.
Scene: I'm walking out of the lunch room with stuff in my hands.  The student in front of me (who is not one of mine) let's the door close in my face.
Kid (who is one of mine): "Whoa, whoa, whoa! Did you NOT just see Mrs. Scott walking out of that door?  Don't you ever let the door close on her again!  Come on Mrs. Scott, I got the door for you."

The other kid was so shocked that he couldn't say anything.  Heck, I was too.  It did make me smile on the inside.

The boys in my 5th period have taken upon themselves to be my bodyguards.  Not only do they make other kids hold the door open for me, but if a kid is acting up and I have to fuss, they come by and ask, "Is this kid bothering you?".  I think it's hilarious; however, I think they take their roles a little too seriously.  For example, we were walking to lunch the other day and one of my coworkers called me over for a chat.  My "bodyguards" stopped and folded their arms while I stopped to chat.  I had to tell them to leave.  LOL.  Is that not the funniest thing?

This year, I've been trying to stretch myself in the classroom by coming up with a hands on activity or some type of game for every lesson.  Most of my kids enjoy the activities and games.  I had one student who complained that my activities were "kindergarten" and that he'd rather do worksheets.  I mean, seriously kid?  You'd rather do worksheets than play games?  I bet his parents made him read and study all the time and never let him go to birthday parties growing up.  What kid doesn't like to play games?  Even my Asperger's kids like to play games and they generally don't like being in social settings or working in groups.

The volleyball team lost both games this week and it sucks.  The Monday night loss wasn't so bad.  They played really hard and fought until the end.  Now Tuesday...  That's a whole nother story (excuse my Southern dialect).  They lost one of their matches 25-8.  That isn't them out playing you.  That's just you not trying.  Because of their piss poor performance Tuesday night, we ran and did burpees and up downs and whatever else I thought was necessary.  Hopefully they ran all of that foolishness out and we're ready to have a successful rest of the season.

My seniors test 2 weeks from Monday!  I'm excited because I know they're going to do great:)  

No comments:

Post a Comment