Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bye Mrs. Scott

Yesterday, during 4th period we were working on combining sentences and I called on a student to come to the board.  I mispronounced her name because well, I don't understand certain types of names. Anyhoo, another student decided that she was going to correct me, so  I had to hit her with a "Bye Felicia."  The other kids stopped working and looked at each other, then looked at me.  Uh, yes, I've seen "Friday" and yes I know who Felicia is.  I guess they didn't expect their teacher to be so cool. LOL

Later that same period, the kids were doing something and apparently I made a lame joke.  The kids hit me with a "Bye Mrs. Scott."  I couldn't do anything but laugh. 

The beginning of every school year is rough on a teacher's body.  Our bodies have become accustomed to lounging around by the pool or on the beach, to taking naps in the middle of the day, and to being just plain lazy.  The exhaustion makes it difficult to get up and put some effort in getting dressed.  Yesterday, I dressed down in my khakis and polo shirt because it was easy and comfortable.  Apparently, my choice of outfit was unacceptable in the eyes of my students.
Kid 1: *whispering* "Is that Mrs. Scott?"
Kid 2: *whispering* "I think so."
*Both lean around to see my face*
Kid 1: *whispering* "Yeah, that's her."
Kid 2: "Hey Mrs. Scott!"
Me: "Hey, y'all!"
Kid 1: "We thought that was you, but we weren't sure.  You look like one of us!"
Me: "Nope, not one of y'all, it's me! I just didn't feel like getting all fancy today, so I put on my khakis and a polo and called it a day."
Kid 1: "Now Mrs. Scott, that is just unacceptable.  You're a veteran!  You should know better.  You're supposed to set the example for the new teachers.  You need to get it together because you need to do better."
Me: *confused*

I mean, really?!  Did I just get reprimanded by 2 juniors?  I thought I looked fine.  I guess I'll be fancy from here on out. 

Ninth graders can be really funny.  Most of the time it's unintentional, but it's still funny.  Today, one of my sweet babies was late to school.  Once he made it to school, he came to class.  I looked at him kind of funny when he walked in late, but I didn't make a big deal about it.  We got started on our work for the day then moved to our kinesthetic activity (eat your heart out Marzano).  Late kid got in a group and started working.  His group finished the activity 1st and was awarded 20 bonus points to use throughout the 9 weeks.  As I was making note of who won, it dawned on me that he was in the wrong class.  That was the reason for the funny look.  In my defense, they've been changing schedules a lot these last few days, so I wasn't 100% sure which class he was in.  Anyway, when I realized that he was in the wrong class, I started to tell him and he cut me off.  He said he knew he didn't recognize anybody in the class, but he didn't know why.  Y'all, he sat in my class almost an hour before he realized that he was in the wrong class!  I wrote him a pass and sent him on his way.  Poor thing had to come back to my class the next block and listen to the same thing again. 

My seniors are working so hard for me.  I'm really excited!  They're going to knock this state test out the water!  In Jesus' name! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment