Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Do cows and horses have babies?"

Today during homeroom one of my bright little crayons asked that question.  I ignored her because she couldn't have been serious.  Her friend brought me back into the conversation.
Friend: "Miss G, did you hear what she said?"
Me: "Yes, I heard her."
Bright little crayon: "Well... Do they?"
Me: "Obviously because we have more than 1 cow and more than 1 horse in the world."
Bright little crayon: "Oh... I thought we just ordered them off the Internet."
Me: *palm to forehead*

Why???

This week has been kinda weird.  I've been tired most days and the kids have been bonkers.  Yesterday one of my kids needed to talk so we went out into the hallway to talk.  We were in the hallway for 40 minutes.  Poor kid has so much going on that she feels like she can no longer deal.  She's been through way more in her 16 years than I have in my 27.  I felt tired after talking to her.  Kids shouldn't have to go through what she's been through.  Earlier yesterday I had another kid that needed to vent and I had talked to a mental health consultant about another student.  These kids go through so much and pull off their teachers so much sometimes that I feel like I need to go see the counselor.  On top of that we've had 5 different sets of angry kids.  So you take that, add all the kids who have needed to vent, and you end up with tired teachers looking forward to 3:45 on Friday. 

My classes have been studying the holocaust and they seem to be really interested in it.  They're asking questions and everything, which is awesome.  We're about to do a little side lesson on propaganda and possibly stereotyping.  The stereotyping activity is usually an interesting one.  I wonder how this group will do. 

I'm so sleepy that I can't even think of everything that has gone on since my last blog.  This has been a long week.  Whew!  Spring Break can't come fast enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment