Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cootie Kings and Lint Lickers

Today involved lots of "counseling," cheering up, analyzing children, giving boyfriend advice, giving parents advice, etc.  Basically I felt like I should have been a counselor or psychologist/psychiatrist instead of a teacher.  First there was the conference.  It involved the parent, regular and special ed teachers, a principal, a counselor, and a psychiatrist.  It was crucial.  The kid is struggling in his classes but we can't really figure out why.  That's why the SPED teacher and psychiatrist were there.  That was the 1st conference I've ever walked out of not really knowing how to help the kid.  Like, I felt bad for him.  Something isn't adding up or clicking here.  I'm going to figure this out!  I'm going to pray about it and go from there.  Something just ain't right here. 

After the conference was the homeroom drama.  Once homeroom started I noticed a student, who is normally upbeat and cheery, was the opposite of her normal self.   I didn't say anything to her because I figured she was upset about the game last night (she's a basketball player).  Another student came and asked if they could go in the hall and talk.  I said sure and asked if I needed to come too.  I went out in the hall and they told me what was going on.  Her boyfriend used to date a girl on the basketball team.  They broke up and he started dating my student.  Well apparently he's still in love with the ex girlfriend and he can't be with my student anymore.  She was all upset.  I gave her the whole "you'll have 20 more boyfriends before you graduate from high school so it's not the end of the world he didn't deserve you anyway" speech.  She wasn't fully buying it.  Next, I told her how to get over it.  And finally, as is my custom when my girls are terribly upset over a cheating boyfriend, I wrote her a little note to keep in her notebook to look at when gets down.  Her note said... KM is a cootie king.  She cracked up.  Notes from the past have said boogers, lint licker, turd, and other gross, funny words.  I'm not deep or inspirational so that's all I got.  They love the notes and they actually keep them.  Sometimes you don't have to be all deep and inspirational to make a situation better. 

During 3rd period a former student came by my room all teary eyed.  My kids were working on a worksheet so I stepped out to talk to her.  Her boyfriend was cheating on her too and she found out in the principal's office after the so called other woman tried to fight her.  Poor thing.  I gave her advice on how to be "nicety" and move on with her life.  I talked to the guy about it too.  He appeared to feel bad about the whole thing.  He said he was going to get her back and leave that other girl alone.  I know you're wondering why he cheated but I won't tell.  Let's just say it was easy to do. 

After all of that I sat and reflected on my high school boyfriends and giggled.  It all seems so serious then.  Oh to be young and in love. 

My repeaters are working out of the English II state testing handbook.  Right now we're doing fact and opinion.  The other day we were reading an editorial dealing with education and basically it said that kids are failing because teachers suck.  That sparked a serious discussion with them.  They said that it's not the teacher's fault all the time.  A lot of times it the kids fault because they just don't want to learn sometimes.  Then they went on to explain that sometimes teachers don't teach on their level or relate the material to them so they don't want to do the work.  It was a really interesting conversation.  It made me think about what I'm doing in my classroom to make sure my kids want to learn. 

Don't forget about the book drive!  We're collecting books, cds, and DVDs to help raise money for the football and basketball facilities.  If you have any books, cds, and DVDs you want to get rid of please contact me.  You can leave a comment here, call me, text me, Facebook me, tweet me, email me, whatever.  I'll come pick up the stuff or I can meet you somewhere.  Since I coach volleyball and we play in the gym I want to help as much as possible.  It costs you nothing but maybe a little gas.  You'll be getting rid of some clutter!  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment