Monday, August 11, 2014

Because geography is hard

On the first day of school, I was going through my powerpoint presentation that introduced me to my kids.  I had slides that talked about my family and what I liked to do.  One slide talked about my love for traveling and listed all of the places I had traveled.
Me: "Has anybody in here ever been out of the country?"
Kid: "I have!"
Me: "Cool! Where have you been?"
Kid: "New Orleans!"
Me: *blank stare* "Uh, New Orleans is in Louisiana.  That's, like, the next state over."
Kid: *gets up and looks out the window* "Where?"
Me: *face palm*

I know New Orleans has its own culture and can appear to be a foreign place, but it is still in the United States of America.  Bless his little heart...

The first day of school is the time for all of those cheesy get to know you activities and to sit around and sing "Kumbaya" with your kids so y'all can get to know each other and bond. *eye roll*  Anyway, over the last few years I've been having my kids tell me what animal they would be and why.  Most of my kids understood the assignment, but there were those that just didn't get it.  At all.

"I'd be a kangaroo."
"Why?"
"Because they jump."
"Do you jump like a kangaroo?"
"No."

"I'd be a bird because they fly all over the place and they get to see everything."
"But what does that have to do with you?"

"I'd be a panda bear because they're cuddly.  I don't like cuddling or people in my personal space.  Unless it's my momma.  She can hug me."

Then of course there are those that are quite interesting.

"I'd be a killer."
*blank stare*

"I'd be a cockroach."
"Why?"
"Cuz you know how y'all leave food out and stuff and cockroaches come behind you and eat the left out food?  I do that.  I eat the leftovers."
*blank stare*

I was going through my introductory powerpoint and I started talking about my friends and how awesome they are. *Shout out to Bria, Cynt, Keetra, Kaley, Maranda, Mandy, and Robyn* I told my kids that it's important to have good friends in your life because they make life's difficult times a little easier.  My friends have been there through 3 of the hardest times in my life: the death of my granny, my ectopic pregnancy, and the death of my little brother.  I didn't use the term ectopic pregnancy when I was talking to my kids.  I said that Coach Scott and I had lost our baby.  One of my inclusion kids was confused by this phrasing.  He raised his hand very politely and asked, "Mrs. Scott? How did y'all lose the baby?  Did it get lost?"  Bless his little heart!  He didn't get it.  I explained it to him, so I hope he understands now.  

We've only been in school 3 days and all of that has happened!  Looks like this will be a blog worthy year!


No comments:

Post a Comment